Tuesday, March 11, 2014

So What!


Linking up with Shannon @Life After I Dew for "So What Wednesday" with something that has been weighing heavily on my mind.

So what if the thought of leaving Kennedy longer than 1 night terrifies me and I am so not ready!
 
I have left Kennedy a total of 3 times overnight. One of the times was when I went to Beaufort for my sorority sister Ashlee's wedding and Nick was watching her. We have left her twice with Nick's parents when we have gone to Columbia to visit Kevin and Ashley. I bawled all three times when I left her and the next morning, I couldn't wait to get home to see her. I am still not sure if Megan has forgiven me for waking her up at 7:30 after we didn't get back to our hotel until 1:00 from Ashlee's reception. So the thought of leaving her TWO nights? I just don't know if I can do it! The last time we left her, she was about 10 months old and was old enough to understand we were leaving. She cried, clinged to my shirt and shook her head "no" at my mother in law when she tried to hold her. That was by far the hardest overnight. Even though we had a blast with Ashley and Kevin, I kept thinking about her getting upset and missed her so much. I cried the whole way to Columbia. We haven't left her overnight since.
 
On Saturday, I attended the funeral for my dear friend Brittney's mother Joyce. Brittney and I met in our Early Childhood Education block at USCA. There was a group of about 6 of us that were super close in college but drifted apart after graduation due to work, marriage, babies, life in general. 

 The Early Childhood girls in 2006 at Kristin's baby shower.
 
Before, the funeral we were all standing outside talking about how great it was to see each other but that we hated it had to be under these circumstances. My friend Katie was saying she wanted us to get together more often and not wait until something like this brings us together again. We also all agreed that a girls trip would be great for Brittney to get her mind off things. My friend Stephanie brought up her parents condo in Myrtle Beach. Next thing I know I am looking at a Facebook message suggesting a weekend in May and asking if everyone get together that weekend. I replied that that was the weekend after my 30th birthday (my birthday is on a Monday this year) and  that I wasn't sure of our plans, which is true. However, I think part of me wants to avoid it because I am not ready to leave Kennedy. I know I would have a ton of fun but I am just so scared to be so far away from her.
 
We have also been planning a 5 year wedding anniversary trip with my brother in law and sister in law in 2015. They got married in 2010 as well, just a few months before us so we thought it would be fun to take a big trip together. We have been talking about doing a cruise. I guess I just assumed I would be ready by that time to leave Kennedy but now I am not so sure, especially since I can't even leave her for 2 nights with Nick!
 
Please tell me I am not the only one who feels this way! Have you left your kids overnight for longer than one night? If you have, how did you deal with it?
 

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I am the way same about leaving LC! I've left her for a few days last fall but can't bring myself to anytime soon. My husband wants to go away the two of us which would be awesome but I don't want to leave her! I think it's because she's a mommy's girl...because it wasn't as hard for me to leave Owen at her age. But now I just want to take both of them with me! :)

Unknown said...

We left Jane for 3 nights when she was 4 months old with my Mom. To be honest, really the first night was the hardest. Of course I missed her, but it seemed like the days got better.
BUT.....I am freaking out now because we are going on a 3 night cruise in June and I have a feeling leaving her will be a lot different because she is older now. She will realize what is going on and I don't want her to think Im never coming back or something. So, YES, I totally get it. But I do think its good to get out without the kids sometimes.

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!