Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Memoirs- Anniversary of Spring break 2004


Linking up with Royal over @ Royal Proclaims again for another edition of "Monday Memoirs." I am not as good of a storyteller as she is but in honor of the 10th anniversary of a crazy spring break trip I took in college I am going to do my best to recap a funny story. Unfortunately, I admit I am too lazy to go find my box of old pictures from college in the garage so there will not be any picture to accompany this story.


It was spring break 2004  in Daytona Beach. I was a sophomore in college. I think everyone should take a wild spring break trip somewhere during college. Daytona Beach does not disappoint! Me, my boyfriend at the time, Ashley and her boyfriend at the time, Megan, Mary-Beth and Matt all went down together and we all stayed in ONE room. Yep,that's what cheap college kids do. We had heard about this club that was supposed to be awesome so we hopped in a cab and headed up there one night. I don't even remember the name of the club but when we got there, there was a very long line so we knew it had to be good. We get up to the front of the line and the doorman says "50 dollars apiece." "Ummm say what???" Then the doorman procedes to tell us that Vanilla Ice will be performing that night. "Ohhh well why didn't you say so?!?!" We are all 90's kids, Vanilla Ice is worth 50 bucks! Except wait, we don't know any other songs he sings besides "Ice, Ice, Baby." SMH. We pay the money and go inside, more anxious to party than anything else.

After a fun night of drinking and dancing, we are ready to go. Except we can't find Matt, Mary-Beth or Megan. Matt and Mary-Beth had told us they  were going to an after hours club so we figured they had already left but Megan had been dancing with a guy all night and we were worried about her. We searched the club for her but couldn't find her. Called her cell, she didn't answer. We have no other choice but to leave. We get outside and realize between the four of us, we have 12 dollars. Yep, 12 dollars and there is no ATM in sight. Our hotel is about 4 miles down the strip. We start to walk. We get about a half of a mile and  a man with a bicycle with a bench seat on the back goes by. My ex-boyfriend Charlie jokingly yells out "hey can we get a ride?" The man surprisingly pulls over and says "sure." Ashley tells him we only have 12 dollars. He says he will take us as far as he can. Ashley and I sit on Darren and Charlie's laps and this skinny little guy pedals off. Keep in mind, Charlie was about 6 foot, 220 pounds. As we are riding along, cars are honking at us, people are yelling out the window "nice ride" and the four of us are laughing so hard we can barely contain ourselves. It also seemed like every car was playing the Usher song "Yeah" which was like the spring break anthem that year.

We seem like we are riding forever and I keep waiting for him to tell us "okay time up" but he just keeps going. Then he starts sweating BAD and the smell was AWFUL, like the worst BO you can imagine. Ashley and I tell him "thank you so much, I think we can manage the rest of the way." He says "no, no, I still have another mile in me!" Bless his little heart! We politely give him the 12 dollars and hop off. We realize we are only about a mile and a half from our hotel. That skinny dude had pedaled us for over 2 miles! We walk for what seems like forever and finally get to our hotel room exhausted! My cell phone starts ringing and I am so relieved to see it's Megan! She says that she left with the guy she was dancing at the club with but then realized he was a douche so she had him let her out of his car about 2 miles from the hotel. She says she is about to be at the hotel and she will see us soon. I hang up and instantly fall asleep. I wake up to hear this:  "YOU GUYS! WAKE UP! I PEED MY PANTS!" Yep, most people would probably just slip into the hotel room and clean up. Not Megan, it was imperative that we all knew that on her long walk back to the hotel, she had peed her pants. Oh Megan.....

"What happens in Daytona, stays in Daytona!" Not if you are Megan, I can't count how many times she has retold that story! As for Ashley and I, needless to say we always make sure we have enough money for the cab ride there AND BACK!

2 comments:

ap said...

Thinking back on college I think I always announced my pee fails too!!!! LOL

Royal @ Royal Proclaims said...

Ha, that poor guy on the bike! He worked hard for that $12!
And what ever happened to Vanilla Ice? I guess it didn't really matter..

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!