Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Chance Meeting

 
On Friday morning, I heard from a Phi Mu sister that a sister at the USC-Columbia campus named Hailey Bordeaux had been tragically killed in a boating accident on Lake Marion. I am an advisor for my collegiate chapter at USC-Aiken and Facebook was blown up with posts from the USCA Phi Mu girls. Even though they didn't personally know Hailey, when a sister passes, you hurt. It's that special bond of sisterhood that you can't really explain but if you are in a sorority, you know what I am talking about. I felt so sad for her family, her boyfriend who was injured in the accident and for her sisters in the Columbia chapter. She was only 21 years old. She was an early childhood major who planned to be a teacher. She had her whole life to live.
 
On Saturday, a sister posted a link to article written in the State Newspaper about Hailey. As I looked at her picture, my jaw dropped. Here's why:
 
Back in May, when my dad first had his stroke, I took a Friday off work to go see him. I left the hospital and drove to Grouchos Deli to get us some lunch. Grouchos is in 5 points, which is an area very close to USC campus. After I ordered our food, I sat down in the waiting area to wait. Two girls came in and one of them had a Phi Mu shirt on. I told her I loved her shirt and that I was a Phi Mu alum from Aiken. She smiled and said "Awesome!" That was all and I soon forgot about her. But I didn't forget her warm smile. That girl was Hailey. I had chills as I looked at the smiling face in the article. Then, I had a good cry.
 
What are the odds right??? They are over 200 girls in the chapter at USC-Columbia. I only personally know one, my bestie Megan's cousin Taylor. I am not sure what God's purpose was for my chance meeting with Hailey, but I am glad I had it. I wish I could have known her better. RIP sweet girl.
 



2 comments:

Dawn said...

Aww-sorry! What a coincidence. That is why it is always good to smile/talk to people because you never know when it may be their last.

Carol said...

Couldn't agree more Dawn!

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!