Wednesday, February 26, 2014

RSVP

When I was 8 years old I was invited to a classmate's birthday party at the skating rink. I didn't want to go. I didn't have a good reason. I just didn't want to go. My mom told me that was fine but that I needed to call her to RSVP so I needed to come up with a reason of why I couldn't go.  I was so mad at her because I have always been a terrible liar and I couldn't think of a reasonable excuse of why I couldn't go. So I went. I may have been furious at her but looking back, I think that was just the start of her raising me to be polite and well mannered.

Last Saturday, I hosted a bridal shower for my best friend Megan. The shower went great and I am planning on posting some pictures and details in my 5 on Friday post. However one thing that really irked me and yes, Megan knows I am blogging about this topic: RSVP. I sent out 24 invitations to the shower. 7 people contacted me to RSVP. I usually do my grocery shopping on Sunday afternoons. The Saturday before the shower I realized I had absolutely no clue how much food to buy because no one had RSVP'd. I started messaging the people I knew on Facebook  and texting poor Megan saying "do you know if _____ is coming?" I was able to find out the status of a few more people but still didn't really know an exact number. I ended up spending way too much money on food, which is okay because Megan is worth it and we had lots of yummy leftovers. However, I just don't get it. How hard is it to RSVP???  One of Megan's co-workers even texted me to say she wouldn't be able to make it which was completely cool. Text, call, send me a message on Facebook, whatever, just let me know! I just think it's a common courtesy but apparently it's a thing of the past. Megan and my sister in law Rachael hosted my baby shower and said they had issues getting people to RSVP as well.

Do you RSVP??? If you are one of the ones that doesn't, that's cool!  But, just curious, what's the reason? Help me out with this!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm flummoxed by how many people neglect to RSVP. In this day and age it's easier than it ever was. I always RSVP and try to do so within 48 hours because I've been on the (frustrated) hostess end.

Unknown said...

Absolutley, if it asks for an RSVP its a MUST. Honestly I think its a southern thing though. Its kind of like, if you were throwing a party, you would want people to RSVP, thats why you should as well. Its really not that hard these days either with Facebook, text, email, and the phone. If you want to avoid awkwardness just message on Facebook or text :)

Suze said...

I ALWAYS rsvp, but I feel like it is a dying art. And you know why I think that is? I think it's because of cell phones and Facebook etc etc that make it so easy to change and rearrange plans- no one wants to commit to something! It's always, maybe I might I'll let you know. NO! Just make a plan, Stan, and stick to it.

End rant. :)

Royal @ Royal Proclaims said...

I RSVP, but last November at my son's 2 year birthday party, I only bought enough food for about 25 people and over 40 showed up. Talk about tee-tiny pieces of birthday cake being handed out...that thing was not big enough! By the time I sat down to eat, only chips and salsa was left, no chicken or beef or queso or anything (we catered with a Moe's taco bar). My family was all like "oh, you should have KNOWN we were coming....you know it's not our style to RSVP..." and made ME feel bad about it.
It's a huge peeve of mine. Grr...

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!