Monday, December 16, 2013

Who knew personalization could be scary???

When I got married, I was ecstatic about my new last name. I registered for a bunch of stuff monogrammed with a K on it and to this day love anything with my monogram or a K on it. When I found out I was having a girl, I was so excited about getting her clothes with her initial, monogram or name on it. We already had names picked out before our gender sonogram and I was so excited about Kennedy's name. Not only did I think it was just adorable but,  Kennedy is a family name on my side, my maternal grandmother's side of the family to be exact.  My Nana passed away in 2007 and I know she would have been so thrilled about the Kennedy name being passed on. So needless to say, Kennedy has a few shirts, a dress and her diaper bag/backpack that have her name on it.


Sunday afternoon, Kennedy and I were shopping. Kennedy was strapped in the buggy and I had her backpack on my back. A lady approached me and told me that I should really reconsider having my child's name on her backpack because strangers can lure her away by name. I smiled and thanked her for her advice but in my head I was thinking "ugh, seriously, go away nosy lady." But then, the wheels in my head started to turn. Yikes. Never ever even thought about that. I really started to panic. She really upset me. I talked to my mom about it and my mom made a good point that at this age, Kennedy isn't going to be out of my sight when we are out in public so strangers can't really "lure her away." She said the lady probably thought Kennedy was older than she was which happens often because she is in the 80th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight.  However, I really think this lady had a good point. I don't think I am going to go out and burn all the shirts she has with her name on it but I think from now on we will be sticking to her monogram or just a simple "K." Such a scary world we live in!

1 comments:

Dawn said...

I love the name Kennedy- neat that it's a family name too. My husband's grandma told me the same thing. It is something to be cautious about...it is sad to have to worry about it! :/

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!