Monday, July 6, 2015

Big Sister Woes

Last week was a rough week. Kennedy really started acting out, lots of temper tantrums and a very hard time listening and following directions. We have tried our best to make her feel special and spend time with her but sometimes it can be hard. Especially since I am nursing and it seems like every time Kennedy is DYING for my attention it's when I am nursing Mark. By the end of the week I was about ready to pull my hair out. Everything was a battle with her. We had been invited to Jessica and Joe's for dinner and I was so nervous that Kennedy was going to have a hard time. Surprisingly though, she did great. She shared toys well with Janna and when we told the girls to clean up, she cleaned up. She listened and followed directions very well. Nick and I realized that it was obviously just us that she was acting out against because of her baby brother.
 
 
We decided to take her on a "big sister date" to see a fireworks show. My friend Becky came over to watch Mark. Unfortunately, it rained that night. We decided to take her to Chuck E Cheese instead which was great. It wasn't very crowded because it was a weeknight. Kennedy had a great time. I think the one on one time was much needed so we are going to try to do that with her more often. She kept saying over and over again on the way to Chuck E Cheese, "Baby Mark is too little to go to Chuck E. Cheese, just Kennedy gets to go!" :) I know it really made her feel special. We are going to try to do a big sister date at least once a month even if it's something simple. Last night we watched Beauty and the Beast in Mommy and Daddy's bed which she loved.
 


 
Potty training also continues to be a battle for us. I don't remember the last time she had an accident as far as going tinkle but pooping is a different story. She absolutely refuses to poop in the potty for us. We have tried everything it seems like in the form of positive reinforcement. I let her pick out some new Frozen panties in hopes that she wouldn't want to ruin them. She has already pooped in 3 pairs. I know it sounds harsh but last time I made her throw away the pair she pooped in. It still didn't faze her. My friend Becky was saying that I shouldn't stress because in her opinion, Kennedy is still pretty young. She said all three of her kids were not potty trained until they were 3. I guess it's just frustrating because she is trained as far as going tinkle so I just want her to be all the way trained. When we go out somewhere it's a constant struggle of whether to put her in a pullup or panties. With the panties, I worry she's going to poop in them. We were at the mall the other day and she was in panties. She pooped in them and it was not fun to clean up in a public bathroom. With the pullups, she will sometimes use them as a diaper because she doesn't want to stop whatever she's doing to go to the bathroom and I feel like in some ways that's just regressing backwards. I know at some point it will just click but it's hard because she usually does awesome with transitions. In a way I just kind of wish we had waited longer to get started.  
 
 
Beside all the "woes," she still continues to absolutely love her baby brother. This is all that matters to me. I would much rather her take out her frustrations on me and Nick than resent her baby brother and thankfully we have not had that issue. She still loves to help with him, sing to him and hold him.


 
Despite all the woes, my heart has been so full lately. I love seeing these two together. Mark loves to watch Kennedy and always stares at her so intently when she talks to him. We are so blessed.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Aww, hang in there! It is a hard adjustment but everything will fall into place! Sweet kiddos!

Susan S. said...

Ah we are living parallel lives! :D It is getting better for us and I know it will for you too very soon. I should take Nick to Chuck E Cheese- he's never been and I bet he'd love it!

Unknown said...

The "big sister date" seems like a great idea. We are taking Jane to Disney in September without Jackson so she will have an entire vacation, but the little dates seem great! Im over here feeling guilty about leaving Jackson behind, but I think its best for us all.
Also, Jane is still potty training too. She will go pee and poop on the potty fine, but only if she feels like it. If she wanted to be 100% potty trained, she could. She just chooses to pee on the floor or poop in her pants. Ugh! Also, when we go out, I put a pull up on her in fear of accidents, but I agree about it being a set back because Jane will use it as a diaper as well. I think Im just going to have to deal with accidents out in public if they happen.
Hang in there! I think what Ive learned in the last 2.5 years (and Im sure you have too) with Jane is that this season will pass. We will look back at this time (having a newborn and a potty training toddler) and laugh at our worries. We will be onto the next worry that seems 10Xs worse.
Keep it up....youre doing GREAT!

Candace Shiflet said...

k that big sister date sounds like a great idea! And i am sure it will help adjusting to her brother much easier for her. She probably does feel super special and loved by her mommy & daddy :) ahh good ol potty training! I nanny for some kids and potty training was pretty rough!! Candy helped a TON and of course positive reinforcement really made them feel like big kids. My nephew gets a chocolate chip if he uses his little toilet and it works for him like a charm! good luck!! It will get better soon!!
xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

Laura Darling said...

Aw the pictures of them together are so sweet! I hope everyone gets in their groove soon! :)

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!