Thursday, July 30, 2015

Thoughts about Breastfeeding

Alright beware, this is one of my "tell it like it is posts." I have noticed something when I read people's monthly baby updates on their blogs. When they talk about feeding there seem to be 3 categories:
1. They are nursing and loving it.
2. They had been nursing but had some sort of issue so they stopped.
3. There is no mention of feeding at all, which I would assume to mean they are using formula and are just terrified to mention it on their blog because someone will most likely rake them over the coals for it.
We have been very fortunate that I have been able to exclusively nurse with Mark. However, guess what? I am not "above"  giving him formula if I need to. In fact, when I go back to work I may have to. I have heard several comments lately from breastfeeding moms about formula moms that are just not nice. Things like "I would never give my child formula." (Umm...formula is not poison, it actually has a lot of vitamins in it ) and "She just was too selfish to breastfeed, she barely even tried." (Ummm that's not being selfish, it is a personal choice) and my favorite one "She will never be able to bond with her baby." (UMMM BULLSHIT!)
With Kennedy, I had supply issues. I just wasn't making enough milk and Kennedy was miserable. The lactation consultant made me feel like a terrible mother for suggesting supplementing with formula. She wanted me to take Fenugreek and do all these other things. I called my pediatrician in tears. My pediatrician said "it's really okay, give that poor baby some formula so you can rest." And that's what we did. Kennedy is a perfectly healthy, intelligent 2 and a half year old.
Look, I am not saying breastmilk isn't the healthier choice of the two. I have seen the research, I know it is.  I guess I just don't like people acting like formula is UNhealthy. I think it's also hard for me because I have never been one of those moms who has had that passion for breastfeeding. When I stopped nursing Kennedy at 6 months, I was so relieved. People told me I would cry after the last feeding and I was just like "okay, moving on! Thank goodness I don't have to worry about pumping, and leaky and sore boobs."
I am not saying it's not okay to have that passion for breastfeeding. I think it's great to have a passion for something.I just wish people would have their passion in a respectful way. Child rearing is not a competition. Being a mom is a hard enough job as it is, why can't we all support each other and the choices we make as moms?  Giving your baby formula is not dangerous so there is really no need to comment on a mother's choice to give it to her baby. I know judgment can go either way and I hope this doesn't seem like I am judging people who do have that passion for breastfeeding. I honestly do think that's great! I just have a problem with people who think breastfeeding is the only way to have a healthy baby and bond with your baby. We need to be cheerleaders for each other as moms and respect everyone's choices. Let's support each other on this amazing journey called motherhood!


2 comments:

Sarita @ it's my girls' world said...

I totally get this… Us moms need to bring each other up instead of bringing each other down!

Drew Watts said...

Good to go through the post.

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!