Sunday, May 11, 2014

Life Update

The past week has been full of ups and downs. There is soooo much that has been going on, way too much to write in one post.

Last week we had PASS testing (state standardized testing) which is always stressful to teachers. At the conclusion of testing on Tuesday, I looked at my phone and there was a voicemail from my sister. My dad was in the hospital and he had had a stroke. To be honest, I had been expecting a phone call like this for awhile. My dad is an alcoholic, is overweight and is just in bad health in general. He hasn't been the best dad to me and my stepdad has stepped up a lot over the years to take his place. However, he is still my dad and the news was hard to hear. I was very upset. The earliest I was able to get to Columbia was Friday. I took the day off and spent it up at the hospital with him and my sister. His whole left side is still numb and he is unable to walk. He has a long road of physical therapy ahead of him. He is a sportswriter and covers the Gamecocks for Bleacher Report. He is absolutely devastated over the fact that he cannot type and wants to get back into the pressbox more than anything. It was so hard to see him upset and so down but surprisingly at one point, he said to my sister and me, "I have no one to blame for this but myself." As much as I am really sad about this, I hope it will be a wake up call for him. He will be in the hospital for a few more weeks and then will go into a rehabilitation center. Keep him in your prayers.
 My wedding day
I think this picture was taken around 2006 at my Aunt Gail's farm. My dad looks a lot healthier here.
At our gender reveal party for Kennedy.
 
 
There have been some really great things going on, like Nick's graduation party this weekend and the fact that he had a job interview last week for an assistant principal position! More to come on that, along with pictures from the party. We are so proud of him and can't wait to see what God has in store for the next chapter of our lives!
 
Happy Mother's Day! A year ago we were celebrating my 29th birthday (yes, I am going to be the big 3-0 tomorrow!) and Kennedy was getting dedicated at church.


 It is so crazy how much life changes in a year! I also want to give a shoutout to my wonderful Mommy who will probably kill me for putting this picture of her fist pumping at my wedding on here but it's one of my favorites! I love her so much. She is a great listener, a wonderful friend and an amazing Nana to Kennedy!


 
I hope everyone is having a great Mother's Day! I couldn't think of a better way to spend the last day of my 20's!





3 comments:

Stro said...

Happy Mother's Day! I will be thinking of you tomorrow (Happy early birthday!) and sending positive thoughts your way for your dad.

Dawn said...

Happy Mother's Day and happy 30th tomorrow! Woo hoo! At least you won't have to worry about PASS on your birthday!! I usually work with students who need to make up PASS tests so I'm afraid I'm not finished yet! Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is on the way to recovery!

Laura said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, I hope he is doing better! Happy birthday and I"m so glad you had a great mother's day!!

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!