Monday, September 8, 2014

2 Year Old Anxiety

As Kennedy's 2nd birthday gets closer and closer, I find myself getting so worried and anxious about the changes that have to be made around this time. These are some things I know we will have to change within the next year:
1. Get rid of the paci. She only uses it when she's sleeping or if she gets hurt and wants it for comfort so at least she doesn't have it all the time. However, I know she's getting too big for it and I don't want her to be like my sister who had her paci until she was five.
2. Transition from a crib to a toddler bed. She has never tried to climb out of her crib so I think we have some time on this one. It still gives me major anxiety because our bedroom is all the way across the house from hers. What if she needs us in the middle of the night?!?! I am assuming you still don't use baby monitors when they are in a toddler bed?
3. Potty training. I keep seeing all these posts about mom's potty training their under 2 kids.  That's awesome but Kennedy is just not ready. Also, when we potty train, I want to her to be fully potty trained not just trained at home and diapers in public.
4. Transition from high chair to booster seat. I think we are ready for this one but definately want to buy one of the booster seats that has a tray since she is so messy!
I think part of me is just sad that she's getting older and she's not going to be a baby/toddler much longer. I guess I just feel like there are so many changes that we have to tackle all at once while she's this age. Trying to just breathe and stay calm!
Momma's out there: Any advice for dealing with these changes? Which change did you think was the hardest to tackle?
And just for fun, here's my little Phi Mu legacy at the bid day party last Friday. The USCA Phi Mu girls love Kennedy and she loves them!

5 comments:

Abby Lumbard said...

All of things will come when you and her are both ready. Don't stress over it too much, everything will happen when its supposed to. :) Of course I'm also telling myself all of this. Emma still uses a pacifier at bedtime, we still use the monitor even though her room is just across the hall from ours and we're not quite 100% potty trained yet (but getting closer every day). It's a tough phase with all of these transitions out of baby, but it's so worth it. You'll see Kennedy do and say things that she hasn't been able to yet and it's totally awesome.

Unknown said...

I agree. I haven't really stressed about any of it just because Im not going to push any of it. Except maybe the paci. Jane has her paci only when she sleeps as well, so shouldn't be too hard.
Also, Jane loves her crib, she hasn't once tried to get out and when she wakes up, she likes the play in there. Im waiting until she tells me she wants a big girl bed. Im not going to mess up a good thing.
Jane is very interested in potty training but I feel like 21 months is still early. Im going to be doing the 3 day bootcamp potty training though when I feel the time is right

The Dorr Stop said...

I have similar stresses over Reagan! Confession- I still have to warm milk in a sippy cup for her to fall asleep at night!!! I know I have to break that soon, but I have major anxiety over it because it's part of her nightly routine and she asks for it now!! Ahh!!!

Reagan just decided one day she wasn't going to sit in her high chair anymore...so we got a booster seat and now she refuses to sit in that either!! She will only eat if she can sit in the seat like adults and big kids do and then she can barely reach her plate- it drives me crazy!!! I don't know what in the world to do to get her to sit back in a booster but it's also one of those fights that I refuse to have. I figure as long as she is actually sitting and eating a good meal, then I'm not going to argue with her over it!

Good luck with everything! :)

The Dorr Stop said...

Oh and I'm totally still going to use my monitor when we transition her to a toddler bed! That child really may have a monitor on her until she's a teenager (kidding...sort of...)!!! :)

Carol said...

Sounds like we are on the same page! I want to do the 3 day method too, just not yet!

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!